On my weekly calendar I wrote "Prime Wall" for Monday and "Paint Wall" for Tuesday. So, today I pulled out the drop cloth and ladder and my fashionable coveralls and primed the wall between the living and dining rooms. It looks a bit better, although you can still see the lovely dappled paint job that was there before.
But after priming, the flaws in the wall were suddenly much easier to see. The flaws that were already there, as well as the flaws in my mudding job. I'm terrible at using joint compound. I've tried it three times now, and I'm 0 for 3! You'd think that with experience I would be getting better, but that hasn't happened yet.
This is what it looks like all the way around the door opening. So now I'm going to have to cross off "Paint Wall" on Tuesday and replace it with "Fix wall and then prime it again!" Yay!