|I feel a little bad for my puny old caulking gun!|
I laid out the landscaping fabric and started placing my bricks.
I wanted each bed to be around six feet long and three feet wide. I'm hoping to fit three beds along the chicken's fence. I feel that my way of building the raised beds must be the most slap dash method in existence! I eyeballed the whole thing and was halfway through with the first bed before I even knew it.
|Looks good enough for me!|
|Wouldn't these make an awesome patio?|
I also stopped by my friend's house to collect a few more bricks. After cleaning them all I got back to work.
Note the wood board behind the second raised bed. My chickens are dumb as rocks and were actually eating the landscaping adhesive. None of them suffered any ill effects, but now as I work I have to put this out to block the chickens from sticking their heads through the fence and eating glue.
By the third bed my garden walls were looking pretty wonky. The bricks for this one were not all the same size and the ground is a bit uneven here. Oh well, as long as it holds dirt I'm fine with some wobbly walls.
I love the detail on these bottom bricks (thanks Nicole!) and the bright yellow one makes me smile.
The raised beds aren't quite as tall as I wanted. They are supposed to be at least twelve inches high and these are only eleven. I ran out of bricks and am feeling antsy to fill them up and get planting. If I find that they are too short to work well I can always add more rows of bricks next summer. Now let's see if I can grow anything other than just tomatoes this year!